Saturday, April 25, 2009

Discovering the street food of Singapore

I arrived into Singapore at 7:30 this morning after a very comfortable by jam packed flight on Jet Airways (inflight food was very good). I drove straght to the Sentosa Resort and Spa on Sentosa Island. 3 hours, a much needed nap and a shower later I was back in the city to ding my wandering spoon into some of the finest street food in the word.

The street food (or hawker food as it is known) of Singapore offers more variety than anything I have seen anywhere in the world. It is easy to find at licensed food stalls all over the city and often the variations on offer under one roof, an ethnic mix of Chinese, Indian, Malay and lots of fusion in between is astounding. And I dicovered jut the surface of the depth and breadth of spicy food available in Singaopore.

There is the ubiquitous Malaysian satay and nasi lemak (coconut rice topped with chicken and fried fish), the Indian roti prata (curry in a pancake), and the Chinese kway teow (fried flat rice noodles) or Hainanese chicken rice. One must also try the multi-coloured desserts such as chendol (coconut-type dessert filled with green screwpine-flavoured bits). But I have tasted so much more today! I will share my discoveries in the next few posts.


As you can see there is great creativity put into grabbing eyeballs! And the best part is that most of this amazing food is available for as little as $3 in the city’s 100 food centres!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: