Friday, September 25, 2009

Smoked Salmon and Pistachio 'Ferreros' from the Nature's Basket Amuse Bouche series

I am just back from my demo session at Nature's basket Lokhandwalla. I think the thing that makes me happiest after food, is talking about it. Feeding people good food is also something I thrive on and as always the demos allow me to eat, teach and talk food. I couldn't as for more. What a lovely session. Thank you to all of you who resisted the temptation of the Bandra fair last week at the Bandra store and Durga Puja yesterday, i really value your time!

Here is one of the recipes for those who could not make it...

Smoked Salmon and Pistachio 'Ferreros'

A recipe inspired by Mediterranean cuisine, these ricotta balls were inspired by one of my favourite Mediterranean dishes Labneh Makbus.
I have been fascintaed with vibrantly green California Pistachios of late. When I was testing recipes for the Amuse bouche series at Nature's Basket, I remembered the Pistachio Kehwa recipe I created last year. Pink and green being my favourite colour combination, I decided to capture it in an Amuse. It turned out fabulously as you can see...


Time taken: 20 minutes, Makes about 14 - 16 Ferreros
Ingredients
1 box ricotta
250 gms smoked salmon, flaked
1 clove garlic crushed to a paste
1/2 cup pistachio paste
Salt to taste 1/2 cup
Pistachio flakes

Method
Place Ricotta in a large bowl, add the smoked salmon, salt, crushed garlic and pistachio paste and mix well. What you should aim for is the consistency of cottage cheese. When you have this cover and refridgerate until required. Place pistachio flakes in a small saucer and flatten into a thin layer. Remove Ricotta mix from refrigerator, take about one tablespoon on the palm of your hand and shape into smooth, round balls, roll in the Pistachio flakes and arrange on a tray. Return to fridge and chill until firm.

Wonderful California Pistachios!
Rolling Ricotta Mixture into a ball.
Covering Ricotta balls with vibrant green Pistachio flakes.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: