|Monsoon is Chai & Pakoda time|
The monsoons are in full force and its the season for Chai and Pakodas. So I am rounding up all the information we collected on last #ChaiPakodaDay!
Once you are done reading through it all, I guarantee you will:
- Fry up some Pakodas
- See potential in a Pakoda business (I'm happy to consult, or even partner with you in it!). If there is any food with potential is hot fried pakodas! Happy to talk more on this over some Pakodas
We celebrated #ChaiPakodaDay for the first time last year on 30 July 2017 as part of IFOD. It was a celebration of monsoons and the collective Indian philosophy that “Baarish mein Chai pakode to bante hai...” But like so many of the foods we have celebrated through these food days, Pakodas are a single concept with a thousand interpretations. And that was just what we discovered at the time!
Have a look at this video of the Pakoda Potluck we had at the home of food blogger Shital Kakkad on #ChaiPakodaDay last year. We tasted 13 types of pakodas from community and regional cuisines of India - all different but all crispy deep fried deliciousness. On the day Delectable Reveries and I also embarked on a mighty pakoda trail across Mumbai (one has to take on great tasks for the greater good)!
If you just want to drool over pakoda goodness then just click on #ChaiPakodaDay on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram! And if you want to cook then here are some fab recipe links!
|It's raining Pakodas|
North1. Kashmiri Nadir Monji (Lotus stem pakoda)
2. Bhutte Ke Pakode or Corn Pakodas from Mudra, The Super Chatori are a Monsoon favourite!
3. Rajasthani Mirchi Vada Recipe from Kabitas Kitchen
4. And I liked this interesting twist on the Mirchi pakoda using gathiya as a stuffing in this Gathia Chilli Pakoda
South5. A healthy version of Chennai Ka Aloo Bonda Ranveer Brar style from his show THANK GOD IT'S FRYDAY Season 3!
6. Karnataka-style Goli Baje aka Mangalore Bhajji or Mysore Bonda with Coconut Chutney by Anushruti of Divine Taste. A crisp exterior, soft interior, the zing of green chili and slight tanginess from yogurt make goli bhajji irresistible which is probably why they are Deepika Padukone's soul food according to her Insta update a few months ago. Click the link above to see for yourself...
East7. Bengali Paat Patar Bora from Purabi Naha of Cosmopolitan Currymania in which tender jute leaves available in monsoons and considered very nutritious are spiced with ajwain (carom seeds) and deep fried.
|Kaavilche Pole from The Bombay Glutton!|
9. Ambodi, a mix dal pakoda by Petupetkar's Amma
10. Recommended to pair perfectly with a glass of cutting Chai are Mumbai street food style Palak Kanda Bhajiya from Jai of Camera Cuisine
11. Kaavilche Polae washed down with jaggery sweetened black tea or Kori Cha from the Kokani Muslim community by Saher Khanzada of Bombay Glutton. These unusual pakodas aka polae or bhajji are made of Tur dal and derive their name from the cast iron pan called kaavil in which they are slowly shallow fried to a crisp.
12. Popatjees - Sweet Puffy Nostalgia from Rhea on EuphoRhea are a simple snack - lightly flavoured, fermented, dough balls deep fried to dark brown and dunked in a sugar syrup.
13. A special Portugese Goan treat from Vanessa of Goan Food Trail are Rissois - prawn patties or deep-fried version of Pierogies with a creamy prawn filling.
14. My recipes for Gujarati Dakor Na Gota and Masala Chai
Something old now try something new...15. Purabi Naha of Cosmopolitan Currymania fries up come Surmai-Gongura Pakodas with crunch from peanuts and a tangy twist from gongura or sorell greens.
16. Mohit Chotrani of The Hungry Bawarchi makes Kale Pakoda and Kadhi Chaat inspired by Rajasthani Pakoda Kadhi Chaat made with Kale instead of the traditional Spinach
17. My Mirchi Masaledar Chicken Pakoda recipe (also makes a great Vada pao).This one is a keeper!
18. An addictive Manchurian Pakoda recipe created by me, and made at APB Cook Studio
19. My Maggi Pakoda recipe video.