Saturday, October 09, 2010

Le Crueset LOVE!!!




It’s been a while since I have jumped up and down in excitement over something, I think, becoming a wife a mother and the MD of your own company does weigh you down from such excesses after a point in life! But today I did! Because  I FINALLY received my birthday present from my DH exactly a month after my birthday . Le Crueset is the diamond of the cooking equipment world you see and when the choice is between buying that or a million other things your  fledgling company needs on a priority basis, the choice is obvious.  I cannot tell you how many times I have sighed over this lovely enamel cookware, caressed it lovingly and walked away! 

But finally I had my own Cherry Red Round Colcotte sitting on the desk near me (cos I could not bear to be parted from me) and kept wandering off mentally, ruminating over what to cook. I had a pile of work to do and 4 days of cooking classes staring me in the face from the next morning but it is not every-day that one acquires a Le Crueset and I just HAD to cook something that night. Finally I compromised on a relatively quick spiced up Bean Cassoulet based on what I had on hand and also because my vegetarian mother was coming to dinner. Its nowhere near a recipe that realises the full potential of a Le crueset but it satisfied my need to cook in for that moment in time. Soon I shall cook wonderfull dishes in it as well. Here is the recipe!

Bean Cassoulet
3 medium onions, chopped fine
2 medium carrots, chopped fine
3 green capsicums, chopped fine
1 tbsp garlic, chopped
1/4 c olive oil
2 tbsp chilli minced
2 tbsp Oregano
1 bay leaf
1 star anise
1 inch piece cinnamon
4 cloves
½ tsp peppercorns
2 cans cannellini beans
5 cups water

Make cassoulet:
Heat oil and add onions, carrots, capsicum and garlic with whole spices, cook over medium low heat, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened and aromatic golden (about 15 minutes), stir in beans, then water, Oregano and simmer, partially covered, stirring occasionally, until everything is cooked and smelling delicious. Serve in big bowls, with crusty bread and a green salad on the side.


No comments: