Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Light and uplifting Buttered Vegetable Soup

Chop all your vegetables into really fine dice.
I was prepping for my Beginners cooking class at Le !5 Patisserie's Central kitchen last Sunday when Pooja, the owner came in to have a chat. She was feeling a little ill with a tummy upset but was hungry so I said I would make her a quick vegetable soup since I had everything I needed ready for it. When my son was a toddler, I made it a rule to feed him head of time. I would then have him 'join' us for dinner, giving him a few of the cooked vegetables from this soup-something easy to eat by himself. (At that age kids love doing things on their own and this colourful mix was something that would keep him busy) It also exposed him to a variety of vegetables. Its stayed with me as my 'go to' soup when we want something light and nutritious. I came home and made it all over again last night  along with a chicken stirfry and salad. Simple flavours, quickly done.You are welcome to vary your selection of vegetables as you want. Keep in mind however that root vegetables lend themselves to slow cooking but delicate vegetables like capsicum and broccoli take mere seconds.

Ingredients
2 tbsp olive oil
a few spices- bay leaf, peppercorn whatever you feel is appropriate
1 tbsp each chopped garlic and grated ginger

1/2 cup peas (optional)
1/2 cup french beans, diced
1 cup carrots, diced
1 cup boiled potatoes, diced
5-6 cups water or stock.
1/2 tsp butter

Salt to taste
Herbs to garnish (Coriander, Parsley or Chives/spring onions)
Method
Heat olive oil or butter and add the vegetables saute on a low flame till tender and almost cooked. Add a stock cube and water or stock and bring to a boil. Simmer untill vegetables are cooked and stir in butter and adjust salt. Garnish with herbs and serve.

My mise en place - u can also add a little pasta to the soup after the water boils.
Heat oil or butter and add spices of choice.
Add stock and bring to a boil.
Serve garnished with chopped herbs.

2 comments:

pooja dhingra said...

LOVED this soup Rushina! you're a star!

Suchi said...

Hi Rushina, the pics of your chopped veggies are awesome :-) Am sure the soup is super yummy too...

Cheers,
Suchi