Thursday, July 01, 2010

Around Town with Arina - In a Soup!

The concept of cold weather is somewhat alien to Mumbai but thankfully it does get a little cool during monsoons and winter which is when the focus shifts from cold refreshing drinks and salads to big bowls of hot soup. There’s nothing like a hearty soup to brighten up a gloomy rainy day and one doesn’t necessarily have to be on a diet to have soup. There are a lot of soups that are rich and high on the calories. What I love about soup is that it can be as simple or elaborate, light or heavy as one may wish. A simple tomato soup with one or two basic ingredients or a noodle soup with lots of veggies and/or meat both are equally satisfying and comforting on a cold gloomy day.

Every restaurant or cafe has at least a few soups on the menu but one place that has caught my attention recently is a chain of mall food court kiosks is The Soup Bowl. It serves only soups and breadsticks to accompany. They have a variety of soups from different cuisines with vegetarian and non-vegetarian options. But sadly they’re only in the suburbs as of now, at Mega Mall, Oshiwara, In Orbit Malad, and Oberoi Mall, Goregaon East. But I make it a point to have a bowl of soup from there whenever I visit either of these malls.

Sometimes when I’m lazy I resort to the ready to eat soup packets, some variants of which are actually quite nice. But since I was a kid I’ve always preferred and loved home made soups made from scratch. And I can gladly make a meal of it especially when I’m feeling under the weather. The fondest memory I have of soup is the Spicy Veggie Clear soup my father made for me when I had a cold or sore throat, it works better than any antibiotic in the world. I call it my “Chicken Soup” because it really works for me just like chicken soup does for non-vegetarians who are unwell. It is the ultimate comfort food and the people I have shared the recipe with have also said the same and it has become their family remedy for a cold or soar throat.

SPICY VEGGIE CLEAR SOUP

1 tsp Garlic, finely chopped
1 tsp Ginger, finely chopped
1 tsp Green Chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
1/4th Carrot, cut into thin strips
3-4 French Beans, diagonally sliced thin
3-4 Baby Corn, thinly sliced
1/4th Capsicum, cut into thin strips
Some shredded cabbage
1/4th Onion, thinly sliced
2 pinches White Pepper
Salt to taste
Spring onion leaves, sliced
2-3 Cups Water or vegetable/noodle or rice stock
1-2 tsp Soya sauce
1 tsp Oil

Heat oil in a wok, add the garlic, ginger, green chillies, and sauté, add the onions, carrot, French beans, baby corn, capsicum and sauté till the sides and base of the wok start browning a little. Add cabbage and sauté a bit; add salt and white pepper and soya sauce. Add water and bring to boil, simmer for a few minute. (Can add a handful of noodles at this stage if desired to make it more filling). Add the spring onion leaves and let it simmer for few minutes. Serve piping hot for best results!

We at APB would love to know your favourite soup so do share it via comments here or on the APB Facebook Fanpage.

No comments: