Monday, July 05, 2010

Monday Bandh

Dear Rushina,

I wasn't very sure about how serious the bandh would be today so I woke up early and turned on the tv. And saw enough riots to decide I'd stay home. The wifi wasn't working and my housemates were asleep so I decided to surprise them with some french toast. I opened the fridge to find that we'd run out of brown bread. I already cracked three eggs into a bowl when I realised we were out of milk as well. So I sent out my friend's cook to see if he could get milk and vegetables (yes, didn't take this bandh seriously enough to go stock up on food). He came back empty handed. Sullenly, I asked him to fry the eggs and began worrying about lunch.
As you know, ever since I got here, I've been making good use of D's fancy kitchen. A day like this with nothing to do would have been perfect for a fancy three (minimum) course meal. PANIC!!! So I took a few deep breaths and ruefully began to look into the fridges (yes, they have three) and cupboards. There were some chicken breasts, goan sausages, pasta among other things. Here's what I threw together for lunch.

Ingredients
1 large chicken breast

Marinade with

1tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1tbsp JD Smoked Barbeque sauce
1/2 tbsp Tobasco Habanero sauce
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp salt

Mix ingredients, pour over chicken breast and leave to marinade for 1 hour.
Place chicken in a bowl, cover and cook in microwave for 8 minutes
Let it cool, carve the meat into cubes

Place bones in a pot, cover with water and boil for 1 cup of stock

Ingredients
3 cups of fusilli, cook and drain
1 cup of roasted chicken cubes
1 goan sausage, cut into thin slices
1 tbsp fresh garlic paste
2 white onions, quartered
3 medium tomatoes. puree
1 cup of grated britannia cheese

1 cup chicken stock
1/2 cup of feta cheese
1 tsp salt
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp refined oil



In a large non-stick pan, heat oil. Place onions, garlic and goan sausages, fry till golden brown and fat from sausages have melted.

Add tomato puree, cheese and chicken stock, cover the pan and cook in medium heat for 15 minutes. Add fusilli, salt and chilli powder, stir well and cook for 5 minutes. Add roast chicken, stir properly. Serve hot with bread (in today's case it was the simple milk bread).

No comments: